Sunday 9 February 2014

Little Trips

As well as mini-breaks away during my days off, I have taken lots of little day trips, exploring the Waikato region bit by beautiful bit.
On a blue skied, sunny day, I took a drive out west to Mount Pirongia – a rambling mountain overlooking the Waikato area. Having had a snoop on the Department of Conservation website it seemed there were several walks over Mount Pirongia to choose from; from short walks at the base, to multi day hikes to the distant summit. I decided to 'tramp', as the Kiwis call it, to the Ruapane lookout. The track starts with an easy uphill, but before long had become almost a wall of rock which I clambered up using my hands and feet. An hour later I arrived, pretty hot and puffed at the Ruapane lookout. The views were breathtaking – looking out for miles over the vast, green Waikato plateau towards Hamilton, Ohaupo and Te Awamutu. The rest of the Pirongia mountain dominated the views behind; trying for the summit on my own in a day was definitely out of the question, but I spied another little hilltop not too far away which I set my sights on conquering. The track to it descended steeply and followed a lower ridge until I came bang smack into another wall of rock – this one so steep that chains were provided to help you pull yourself up. Undeterred I clambered up to this second lookout point, where I sat and revelled in the beautiful views. 


Back at the car I decided to drive out to Kawhia to check out the beach. The sun was beaming down on the black sand, which was almost too hot to walk on, so I cooled my heels in the ocean before heading back to Ohaupo.

Another day out took me along the Waikato river to the Arapuni dam. Around 70% of the North Island of New Zealand's electricity is hydroelectricity, mainly provided by the 11 dams along the length of the Waikato river. The Arapuni dam in itself is nothing remarkable, but the hydroelectric power station has a spectacular swing bridge leading to it, which was built for the workers in 1929. The bridge spans the broad gorge, with the river far beneath, and is a fun little half hour diversion.

On the second of January (lucky kiwis get two bank holidays for the new year!) Alice and I took a hike on the Te Tapui Loop Track; a steep climb to reach the wooden platform at the summit, which awarded us with superb views of the Kaimai Ranges (which were the Misty Mountains in the Lord of The Rings Trilogy).


Alice and I also took a day trip to the Karangahake gorge. Not only did this mean a diverting little stop in Paeroa, birthplace of the fizzy drink L&P ('World Famous in New Zealand Since Ages Ago!), but also a fun day exploring the tracks and tunnels at this abandoned gold mine and battery. The walk included a 1km long tunnel to wander through, as well as lots of side tunnels great for exploring provided you have a torch with you! After a fun few hours nosing about we headed down the road to a waterfall and natural pool for a picnic and a swim – bliss!




The Hunua Ranges, South-east of Auckland, offered another day of hiking and beauty. The 9km hike started and finished at the Hunua Falls – New Zealand just has so many pretty waterfalls! The track led steeply up to a ridge-way which I followed for a few Kms, getting glimpses through the ferns and palms to the view of Auckland in the distance, and through a Kauri grove before reaching a lookout point with views over a reservoir. This reservoir is one of several in the region providing Auckland with water, and is gorgeous, looking more like an ocean inlet than a man made reservoir! After lapping up the views, I descended to the water's edge and crossed the dam, rejoining the forest track on the other side and following it back another 4km to the car-park. Another wonderful day!!







 

 

1 comment:

  1. Good to see some of the wonderful sights that we should encounter on our imminent trip. Will give the bungy jumps a miss though...

    xx

    ReplyDelete