Wednesday 5 February 2014

Joining the Family Club

A few weeks into my time in New Zealand, I travelled to Lake Taupo to meet up with Lillian; a Kiwi who I worked with in the UK. She was back in NZ for a visit home, and we had arranged to spend a day or two together. It was great to see Lils and we had a good old catch up on the walk from Taupo town to the Huka Falls. The walk was pleasant enough; following the Waikato river from its source to the falls, although we seriously under-estimated how far away the falls were. What we thought was a 15minute walk turned into an hour long tramp; with the return walk beckoning! No matter, however, as we had nattered away about this and that,, before turning our attention to the main reason for meeting in Taupo; the Taupo Bungy!


Back in the UK, whilst discussing our approaching trips to NZ, we came up with the idea that we should do a bungy jump together; a couple of days later we had firmly agreed a plan to do the Taupo bungy! The Taupo bungy is situated over the Waikato river, and is just shy of 50metres high. For me there was a special reason for choosing this particular bungy; I wanted to join the family club! My uncle Paul, and my cousins Laura, Alice and Elgan have all taken the plunge and 'bungeed' at Taupo, and I was determined to be the next member of the club!

The following day, having spent the night at Lillian's parent's bach (holiday house) we presented ourselves at Taupo bungy. Having signed our lives away, paid up, and had our weigh-ins, we were told to head on out to the platform. I asked Lil's if we should flip a coin to see who jumps first, and quicker than a flash she replied she wanted to jump first, as she wasn't sure she'd have the nerve to jump if she had to watch me first! My own nerves jangling with excitement, I agreed and Lil stepped forward.

Watching Lillian jump was not too scary – in actual fact I was more excited than anything. Before I knew it, Lil had jumped and it was my turn. Whilst being fitted into my harness and having my ankles bound, the jump-masters asked if I wanted to have a dip in the river. I told them I didn't mind if my hands got wet but no further. 'Right', he said, 'well in that case you have two options; First you can jump on a shorter rope and you definitely won't get wet, but it might not be very bouncy or comfy. Or you jump on the slightly longer rope where you will get wet unless you jump OUT as far as possible'. Feeling more and more excited and confident by the minute I chose the second option.

As you shuffle your way to the edge of the platform, the rope drops down ahead of you, causing a rather unpleasant dragging sensation; like you are about to be pulled off the precipice before you are ready. However I was finally stood on the edge, my toes hanging over the lip of the platform, with the blue-green Waikato river lazily flowing 50metres below. Having smiled for the photo I was given the go ahead, and with the words of the jump-master fresh in my mind I leapt out with as much force as I could muster. In a fraction of a second I was down, my fingers an inch from the water before being pulled back up as the rope pulled back. It was AMAZING!!!!! Such a great feeling – I let out a few whoops of excitement, whilst being lowered into the awaiting dinghy and taken to shore, where an equally ecstatic Lillian was waiting.

Later, having celebrated with a slice of cake and a coffee, and still feeling as though the whole event was a little unreal, Lils and I headed back to Hamilton.

I saw Lillian once more before she returned to the UK – we took a morning's drive west to see the Bridal Veil Falls. The walk to the falls follows a stream to a platform overhanging the top of the falls, allowing you to look straight over the edge as the water plummets to the pool below. The waterfall was spectacular and beautiful, and as we returned to the car Lil and I remarked, with an air of boasting, that the waterfall drop was the same height as our bungy jump! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment