Tuesday 29 October 2013

Making Connections

My penultimate full day in Auckland took a slightly easier pace than the week had so far been. After a lie-in, leisurely breakfast and a lengthy chat with Sarah back in the UK I waited to be picked up for lunch by some very distant relatives.

My grand-dad back in the UK has been investigating the family tree for many years, uncovering some fascinating family stories along the way. During this he made contact with some living relatives of ours in New Zealand; David Webb and his wife Julie. Through grand-dad I arranged to meet up with David and Julie during my time in Auckland. Now, I am unlikely to get the correct direct relationship right (sorry grand-dad) but David's Great-Grandfather – Henry Webb, b.1826, d.1913 – is my Great, Great, Great-grandfather!

Julie and David arrived at my hostel and took me to their house, in Half Moon Bay for lunch. We had a wonderful afternoon sunning ourselves on the deck of their house, overlooking the bay, and Julie made a delicious lunch. All in all I was made to feel wonderfully welcome by them. During and after lunch we discussed the family history; David's Grandfather moved his family to New Zealand, where they had remained always in the Auckland area. David worked as a refrigeration engineer, initially on large container ships transporting goods worldwide, and even spent some time in the UK in London. David reflected with some regret that had he known of the family in the UK at that time he would have loved to have met Grand-dad and others. All in all it was a pleasant afternoon, and I am very glad to have met them.

Later that evening I went to bootcamp – and what a tough session it was! Despite at the time feeling like my lungs were going to burst, I successfully ran over 2km with a 10KG weight bag over my shoulders! Feeling pretty buzzed I returned to the hostel and bumped into Anton – the Aussie in my dorm. Seeing me looking the image of health (I.e red faced, sweaty, still panting a little) he asked what I had been up to. I gave him a brief outline of the class, and my fitness activities back home in UK. “Cool”, he says, “I used to do that kind of thing – I used to run loads and do weights – I had a six pack and everything”. “Oh yes?” I said, “yeh, but then I started smoking weed, and drinking beers. Now I have a big gut and I'm really unfit”, he looked a little crestfallen. I expressed sympathy and suggested it wasn't too late – he could get fit again; “nah” he said, “think I might just go for a beer....” I feel Anton and I really connected over this conversation – a true meeting of minds!

No comments:

Post a Comment