Saturday 28 September 2013

Leaving and Landing

Its a funny feeling leaving. In the last two weeks I have left my job, my friends, my flat, my family and my country. And although it is me doing the leaving it does feel in a way like I am the one being left behind. Everyone else continues as before, mooching along their own paths whilst I have headed off on a totally new one. Saying goodbye to everyone was hard, I am truly going to miss my little life back in Hitchin and miss my family like crazy. But, as everyone kept telling me – its going to be an amazing adventure and one day my path will lead me back to everyone again.

My last day at work was a fun one. I did my first solo hip replacement – which was a great final challenge and learning experience. It wasn't long after finishing surgery that it was time for the awkward goodbye to everyone. Mr T said a few words of good luck and goodbye, saying that he spoke for everybody when he said he hoped I didn't like NZ, didn't get a job, and didn't get a boyfriend. Thanks Mr T!

Straight after work it was time to hit the road – Gemma & Ray's wedding and a uni reunion awaited. This was the last road-trip for my car and I; and true to form, my little FixItAgainTomorrow developed a problem with the brakes to add a bit of drama (and reassuring grating sound effects) for the trip.  The wedding was wonderful – Gemma looked absolutely stunning and the service was beautiful. Lunch with the uni girls was a happy affair – I love how we can not see each other for ages and just pick up the conversation as if no time at all has passed! We arrived at the reception having had a tour of the local area (apparently Lane Farm and Lane's Farm are two completely different places – oops!) and partied the night away. The night ended with fireworks and watching the happy couple head off to their hotel, honeymoon and beyond – beautiful!

The following day Punto and I rattled down to Devon to see my great aunt & uncle and my great-grandmother. I had a wonderful time down there, despite my nan's slightly dimmed view of the world – almost 99 and she shrugs at the thought of another year until she gets a letter from the queen - “and what good will that do me????”. Despite this we had a lovely morning together, looking through old photos and her sharing her memories, including my favourite tale of when she was at guide camp and would sneak away with her friends across the fields to the scout camp to see the boys!

Finally I returned to Hitchin and despite my poor packing skills the flat was finally ready to vacate. On the morning I was due to leave I headed to my last Regfit session and, more importantly, tea and cake afterwards! Another lot of goodbyes and a wonderful card from everyone. Regfit has been really life-changing for me over this past year – with the support of my friends I have achieved more than I ever thought I would or could!

Leaving my flat was a little sad, but saying that I will not miss my living room water feature – three years is a long time to live somewhere that has water pouring through the ceiling every time it rains – and my wonderful downstairs neighbour Barry who has gone out of his way to make me feel unwelcome during my stay! So, having stamped a goodbye through the floor to Barry's delicate ears, I headed up to Shropshire with my parents and a van full of belongings.

We headed to Reading for my last 2 days, so I could see my sister, her partner Fred and Leo the cat. These days were filled with goodbyes but also with a last minute mad dash round the shops to find a new pair of walking boots as I discovered my old ones didn't so much have a sturdy heel than a gaping hole and perished rubber! Mission was accomplished in a mere 6 hours and 4 shops! When not trying on shoes I managed to fit in catching up with old school friends Charlotte and Ruth – it is always great to see them and have a good old natter.

The drive to the airport was probably the most scared and upset I felt during all my gooodbyes – I think the finality of it got to me and by the time we got to Heathrow I was a bag of nerves. However once checked in the excitement took over and by the time I said farewell to my family I was smiling once more!

My flights were.... long! The first flight was pretty comfy – I had extra legroom – but I did have sat next to me a baby with her dad. Cue that sinking feeling of realising just how awful the next 11 hours could be. But my fears were unfounded – the baby was so well behaved I barely knew she was there! A few hours in Hong Kong airport were followed by the final leg of my journey – not as comfy but I was sat next to a really friendly guy called David – who was headed home to Dunedin following a few weeks holiday in the UK. We chatted about everything from Monster Munch to the America's Cup and the journey passed quickly.

We landed on time in Auckland and once though customs – having attracted the attention of the sniffer dogs for the lingering smell of apples in my rucksack – I got the bus out to Mt Eden and checked into my hostel for the week – Pentlands. I struggled against my tiredness for the rest of the day before I admitted defeat and crashed.

1 comment:

  1. The baby's dad has obviously done this before. And you did not have to buy those noise excluding headphones :-)

    Luv mum & dad

    xxx

    ReplyDelete